Saturday, January 9, 2010

Finally got to House on the Rock!

I GOT THE JOB WITH TaLK!!! Just like to put that out there. I'll be leaving for South Korea again in February.

First of all.... before my updates, I'd like to mention one interesting person and one disturbing person I discovered yesterday while surfing the web.

First is the interesting one, but you may find this less than interesting. Ariana Page Russell has a skin condition which makes her skin very sensitive to contact. It becomes red and raised very easily. Instead of this being a crutch, she uses this to make artwork out of her body. I think she's a big inspiration and her art is very beautiful.

Next is the disturbing one, Hang Mioku. This woman is a plastic surgery addict who went a few steps too far. After running out of silicone to do injections into her face, she started using cooking oil. I'm so against plastic surgery, and really fear for people who make it a habit. I hope you don't.

Day 20 (Jan 8) - Madison
Well... second day in a row I was supposed to go to Minneapolis that it didn't happen... It had stopped snowing in Madison, but it was still snowing in Milwaukee where my rideshare was coming from, so she wasn't going. Some weird coincidence happened though... This girl I messaged on couchsurfing for a place to stay messaged me back saying she was my rideshare! How wild is that. She was the girl I wanted to stay with most because she seemed like a really cool girl, and she was born in Kishinev like my mom and was Jewish. Not that I prefer a person for that reason alone, but I always love meeting people from my background just to hear their stories of how their families got to the US. So when I called her in the morning to see if she was gonna go to Minneapolis, she asked me if I saw her couchsurfing message to me, and I said yes, and we ended up talking on the phone for about an hour. Even though we never got to meet, I hope our paths cross again.

The kids had some kinda performance at school, so Becky and I walked over to school to watch them. We had to watch the same performances over and over for each her kids' classes, because this is their gym class' unit on modern dance and the parents are invited to watch. After school, the girls both had friends sleeping over, so it was five kids running and screaming around the house all night. Fun fun fun.

Day 21 (Jan 9) - Madison - Spring Green - Mt. Horeb - Madison
I woke up in a really bad mood. I really wanted to give Becky's husband a piece of my mind, but didn't for her sake cause she's been great. He was really rude, trying to smoke me out of the family room from 8am because they bought a Wii the night before, and were waiting for me to wake up and install it. From 8am, he started blasting the radio really loud, which is right next to the room where I was sleeping. He also let the kids run around like crazy, screaming. The youngest kid kept coming in the room, checking if I was awake yet, and reporting back to his dad. I was about to get out of there, and even started searching for new couches in town, but eventually just gave up and called Moe to hang out.

Moe showed up a bit later, and we went to House on the Rock because I convinced him last time I saw him to take me there this weekend. It's a place I'd been wanting to go to since I first heard of it a couple months ago. This was long before I knew I'd end up in Wisconsin, and when I found out I'd be staying only 45 minutes away for it, I was determined to make the trip out there before I left. House on the Rock is a gorgeous huge house done in Japanese style on top of a large rock, filled with collections of various oddities the home owner has collected throughout the years. It's not far from Taliesin by Frank Lloyd Wright, which costs 3 times as much to visit, but I'm sure isn't remotely as interesting. It also houses the largest carousel in the world!!

After that, we went to have dinner in Mt. Horeb, which is known for its trolls. Unfortunately, it was dark by then so we couldn't go hunting trolls. We went to the Grumpy Troll to have dinner. After that, he took me back to Becky's so that I could rest up.

Map of 2010 updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment