Monday, January 11, 2010

A banjo...... ?

This blog update has been consistently happening every other day for a while now... I guess I'm only gonna be counting the days of the Midwest trip, and not the whole thing, so after this, I'd be back to just saying what's up and what I've been doing. But it's pretty good that I'm getting my words out there, cause in the past I've always been too lazy to write. So this time, I'm just gonna meld days 22 and 23 together because they're pretty much leading up to a big decision I may have just made because I'm sitting here on Craigslist right now thinking that I'll be getting a settling amount of 300,000W ($265) when I arrive, and I wouldn't mind spending that on Craigslist crap for things I'd need/want for my apartment!! I really hope I don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere where I have to do a homestay. I super want my own place just because I've never had one before.

These past two days have been really good for me. Yesterday (Jan 10) morning I just hung out around the house til the afternoon. Then Becky gave me a ride to the Madison free zoo where I walked around in the freezing cold by myself for an hour. The reason for this was mostly because I was going to a Couchsurfing potluck just a few blocks away. The only problem was that I went to the zoo at 4pm (cause it closed at 5), and the potluck didn't start til at least 6.

Not a lot of people showed up because there was some confusion over changes in dates and an interference with an important Packers game. It was just the host Crystaline, her friend from work, Moe, this guy John Ray from Texas, and I. At some point in the night, John busted out his BANJO and played two folk songs, "Plastic Jesus" and "It Blow'd Away". I'd always wanted to pick up another instrument again since I'd quit keyboard before I even reached middle school. I've always liked the sound of banjos, but last night it just called out to me and said it really wanted me to play.

Today I ran a bunch of errands with Becky during the day, but just couldn't get those songs out of my head. I played a bunch of banjo music on youtube throughout the day.

In the evening, I went with Becky and the kids to see Becky's friend Mary. She's one of her "fab 5" that I hadn't met yet. I'd heard a lot about her and her great personality, and she really was! She was such a great, easy going person to talk to. She was half-Korean, but didn't know much about Korea at all. She told me all about her family history on her mother's side and it was really fascinating. I told her that she should really come visit me when I got back to Korea.

I got home and was talking to Jess. I just happened to mention to her that I really wanted a banjo. She told me to look on Craigslist. I found this perfect banjo, and the seller was just a few towns down from me! I thought it was fate. I really wanted that banjo so badly. Unfortunately he just emailed me back a few minutes ago, saying he'd already sold it. I'm heartbroken. I wonder if this is a sign of "that's a bad purchase idea" or "you'll find a better deal". We'll see!

Another good piece of news from last night, I got an email back about my graduation and orientation in Korea. Both happen to fall on the same day, and I was really gutted about that because I'd promised my parents I would go to graduation, and was looking forward to seeing some friends who were gonna graduate with me. So TaLK let me come to orientation late, and I get to leave the US on February 5th or 6th. Also, I was placed in my province of choice, Gangwon-do (강원도). They didn't say the city/town yet, but I'm really hoping for Sokcho (속초) cause that's what I requested.

No comments:

Post a Comment