Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Critical Languages Scholarship

Back in March I was accepted to the Critical Languages Scholarship to study Korean in Suwon, South Korea. I spent my birthday there two years ago, and oddly enough will probably spend my birthday this year there again. It's a kinda boring town, with a nice fortress that's a World Heritage Site, but it's pretty close to Seoul so that's good.

Anyways, back to the scholarship.... it's a program that sends you for free to study a foreign language in hopes of improving the foreign language abilities of Americans. It's a great opportunity because I would not have been able to afford going back to Korea again. I'll be studying intermediate Korean there this time. Last time I studied there in the summer of 2007, it cost me about $10,000. It also helps that the exchange rate is better now than it was two years ago. Last time it was about 915 won to the dollar. Now it's about 1260 won to the dollar.

So if you're interested in applying for the scholarship for next year, here is the info:
https://clscholarship.org/home.php

Tomorrow morning I leave for orientation in Washington DC for the trip, and then our flight is first thing Friday morning. I wonder what things will await me when I arrive back in Korea. Something always goes wrong at the very beginning of a trip, and I wonder if it'll happen in DC or Suwon. Last time I got to Korea, I lost my cell phone and got bed bugs on the very first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment